Monday 5 December 2016

Stem Cell Transplant & Fun

Day 0 - Transplant

An hour before the stem cell transplant, the nurse started hooking me up to a whole load of drips. Gradually various individuals arrived to witness my "rebirth": two professors (one requesting a photo), my doctor and two nurses.




A stem cell transplant bag essentially looks like a bag of blood, though it is primarily stem cells with a few red blood cells giving it the same colour. They gave me about half of what they collected the previous week. Fortunately the viability was high. Then they squeezed every drop of the two bags into me to give me the biggest chance. It was over in minutes. Then I passed out and only woke up for lunch.

One thing I have experienced in this hospital in comparison to others, is the attentiveness of the nurses and doctors. They really seem to make an effort to make you comfortable, sharing kind words, offering extra food. Food, I have to admit has not been a highlight. Lunch is passable but lacks vegetables and breakfast and dinner seems to be a carb fest, usually toast. Luckily I have a stash of tinned mackerel in tomato sauce (which I fell in love with in Norway on my solo bike trip from Oslo to Bergen).



Days pass quite easily, I'm rarely bored. I I'm listening to Orhan Pamuk's "My name is Red", an enthralling tale set in 16th century Turkey. I watched the Australia v England rugby union test match: I was hoping they wouldn't come in to measure my blood pressure. I've invited friends to set me challenges to solve. Initially I set myself to walk 1000 steps, not simple with an infusion limiting my movement to 4.5m. Marco challenged me to do "Slavic squats". Done. Jeremy to ponder which came first, the chicken or the egg? Easy.

"I already solved that at university whilst studying genetics.

Here's my theory: at some point in evolution there is such a thing as a pre-chicken, but due to genetic variation, there has to come a time when the next generation's DNA is no longer pre-chicken, but "chicken". Ergo, the first chicken egg preceded the first chicken. QED."

My favourite was from Gábor: I needed to take photos showing no gravity in the room. Here were the photos:

 


Generally, my mood had been so good that I even asked the nurse if it's a possible side effect of one of the drugs. Apparently not.

My theory: I've been given the opportunity to live my life again.

1 comment: