Sunday 12 March 2017

100 Days - Freedom!

The 100 day milestone that once seemed impossibly far away is finally here. It's hard to believe that 100 days ago I was in my bunker sealed off from the world.

On Tuesday, I'll have my last check up in Debrecen where they will make some more detailed blood tests to see how my immune system is doing, as well as a bone marrow sample to check for relapse, though my doctor is confident nothing will be found, since I went into chemotherapy MRD- (no cancer cells). I'll still have a suppressed immune system for a long time (up to 18 months), but passing the 100 day milestone means that I can return to the real world. I can go around without a mask and gloves, I can be amongst other people, I can go shopping, to cafes. I can cycle outside. I'm going to give it a few more weeks before I start going to kindergarten and school though. Next weekend I plan to go hiking in the hills with my family.

Today also marked another cool milestone: 500 km on my bike so far this year. Not bad if I say so myself! Soon I will get my new bike and start riding outside for the first time in over a year. I've set myself a 4000 km target for the year. I'm feeling very good these days and can handle longer and harder rides, so it's looking good for Vätternrundan in June.

A month ago I wrote that I was returning to work. That has been working out really well. I'm working 4 hours a day, which means I can still spend plenty of time looking after myself: cycling, going for walks, reading, studying and eating well. I even started playing with writing a professional blog, which I've found a really good way to cement my understanding of difficult topics. Eventually I will start to work more and even go back into the office, but I am in no rush.

I cannot wait for Tuesday and after 104 days being able to have a kiss :)


No comments:

Post a Comment